- 1/4 pound thick cut bacon
- 1 large yellow onion, medium dice
- 1 carrot, medium dice
- 1 celery stalk, medium dice
- 4 cups shelled black-eyed peas, crowder peas or butter beans
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large, heavy saucepan renderthe bacon until crisp and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined baking sheet or plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery to the bacon drippings and cook, over medium heat until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the peas, stock, salt, pepper and bay leaf and cook over medium heat, partially covered until the peas are tender but not falling apart,about 1 hour. Add more stock or water if necessary.
- The pot liquor from the black-eyed peas is delicious served over slices of hearty country bread or rice.
Stewed Black-eyed Peas With Ham Hock
Crispy Catfish And Black Eyed Peas, Bacon And Caramelized Onion Relish With Fried Collard Greens
Quick And Easy Black Beans
Dirty Black Eyed Peas
Stewed Black Eyed Peas
Southern Style Black Eye Peas
Good Luck Black Eyed Peas
Stewed Black Eyed Peas With Country Ham
Creole Crowder Peas
Roasted Stuffed Pork Tenderloin With Smothered Black Eyed Peas