- 1/4 pound thick cut bacon
- 1 large yellow onion, medium dice
- 1 carrot, medium dice
- 1 celery stalk, medium dice
- 4 cups shelled black-eyed peas, crowder peas or butter beans
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large, heavy saucepan renderthe bacon until crisp and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined baking sheet or plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery to the bacon drippings and cook, over medium heat until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the peas, stock, salt, pepper and bay leaf and cook over medium heat, partially covered until the peas are tender but not falling apart,about 1 hour. Add more stock or water if necessary.
- The pot liquor from the black-eyed peas is delicious served over slices of hearty country bread or rice.