- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup very thinly shaved red onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons crumbled Cotija cheese (or other mild crumbly cheese, such as farmer’s cheese)
- Preheat a grill to medium-high and the oven to 350°F.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a bowl, and add the 3 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well. Then place the potatoes on the grill and cook until nice grill marks develop, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet, place it in the oven, and bake until they are tender enough to easily pierce with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices on a platter, and drizzle the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and the lime juice over them. Sprinkle with the cilantro, red onion, and cheese, and serve.