- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 to 1 cup fine dried bread crumbs (depending on how firm you want the meat loaf)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 pound smoked chorizo sausage, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup bottled chili sauce
- 2 cups Veal Stock or
- canned low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons bleached all-purpose flour
- Mashed Potatoes
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a large roasting pan with the butter.
Combine the beef, pork, onions, bell peppers, garlic, eggs, cream, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and Essence in a large mixing bowl and stir with a wooden spoon to mix. Pat half of the meat mixture into a rectangle about 9 x 4 inches on the prepared pan. Layer the sausage on top of the loaf. Mold the remaining meat mixture around and over the sausage to cover it completely. Pour the chili sauce on top.
Bake, basting occasionally with the pan juices, for 1 1/2 hours. With a large spatula, carefully transfer the meat loaf to a serving platter.
Heat the roasting pan over high heat on the stovetop. Add the veal stock, stir up the browned bits in the pan, and bring to a boil. Whisk the flour and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl until smooth. Then whisk into the stock. Bring to a boil and cook, whisking often, until the gravy thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Season to taste.
Serve the meat loaf with the hot mashed potatoes and gravy.
Oven-Barbecued Baby Back Ribs
Grilled Sausages with Homemade Mustard
Chocolate Chip Pie With Bourbon Cream
Double Chili Cheeseburger with Griddled Onions
Wild Mushroom Smothered Steaks
Marinated and Grilled London Broil with Emeril's Homemade Steak Sauce
Backyard Barbecued Chicken with Homemade BBQ Sauce
Smoked Sausage Sandwiches with Beer-Braised Onions
Roast Beef Sandwich with French Onion Dip and Crispy Shallots
Spicy Chile-Chocolate Cake