- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound dried green split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 9 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Croutons, for serving, optional
In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf and split peas and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peas are very tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Remove the soup from the heat and let cool slightly. Remove the bay leaf and discard.
Add the milk and, using a hand-held immersion blender (or in a regular blender in batches), process until smooth. Add the hot sauce and serve hot, garnished with the croutons.