- 1 pound peeled pumpkin, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 pound sweet potato, peeled and sliced crosswise into 1-inch slices (2 medium potatoes )
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste (such as Mae Ploy) *see note
- 5 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 5 teaspoons Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips lengthwise
- 1 large or 2 small shallots, thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1/2 lime, or to taste
- 1 cup packed torn Thai basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons crushed roasted peanuts, for garnish
- Cooked basmati or jasmine rice, for serving
Preheat a sous vide water bath to 85 degrees C.
Place the pumpkin and sweet potato into one gallon size freezer resealable food storage bag. In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, curry paste, brown sugar, and fish sauce and pour this mixture over the pumpkin.
Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the oil and saute the red pepper strips until wilted and lightly caramelized. Add the shallot and garlic and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes. Allow to cool briefly, then add to the pumpkin mixture. Submerge all but the opening of the bag in a large bowl of cool water so that the air is forced out of the bag. Seal well. (If there is any air remaining in the bag, it will float and will not cook properly.)
Place the bag into the water bath (weight the bag if necessary to keep it fully submerged) and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the pumpkin and sweet potato are tender.
Remove the bag from the water bath and transfer the curry to a serving bowl. Stir in the lime juice and basil leaves.
Serve the curry garnished with the cilantro and peanuts and spooned over basmati rice.
* Thai green curry paste is available at specialty markets
Vietnamese-Style Curried Shrimp with Cellophane Noodles
White Chocolate, Pumpkin Seed and Sour Cherry Bark
Indian-style Curried Fish
Irish Stout and Cheddar Rarebit with Soft Boiled Eggs
Pan Seared Salmon with Spicy Black Bean Salsa
Grilled Fontina, Salami And Roasted Pepper Sandwiches
Turkey, Mushroom and Bacon Panini
Roast Turkey and Mushroom Rigatoni
Potato Soup with Bacon and Cheddar