- 2 tablespoons whole green cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup Patron XO coffee liquor or other coffee liquor
In a large saucepan over medium heat, toast the cardamom pods until fragrant but not brown. Add the heavy cream, 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla bean and nutmeg and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and let stand for at least 20 minutes to let the spices steep. Strain and discard the solids.
Whisk the egg yolds with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in the hot cream in a slow steady stream. Return the mixture to the saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until it thickens. Do not let the mixture boil. Strain inot a clean bowl, cover and refrigerate until cool. The anglaise can be made several days in advance and stored in a container in the refrigerator.