- One 3 to 4 lb chicken
- One 4-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 ½ cups jasmine or long grain white rice
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Sliced green onion, for garnish
- Fish sauce, for garnish
- Chile oil, for garnish
Crispy Shallots and Garlic, for garnish, optional:
- 8 large cloves garlic, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick on a mandoline
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 large shallots peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick on a mandoline
- Add the chicken to a large pot with a lid and add 12 cups of water, garlic, chopped green onion, salt and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook partially covered, until chicken is tender, about 1 ½ hours.
- Remove chicken from the pot and set aside. Strain the broth (you should have 10 cups), discard the solids, and reserve. Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, pull the meat from the chicken, discard the skin and bones, and set aside.
- Add the rice to a 4 quart or large pot and add 8 cups of the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring as needed for 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the rice sit in the broth 20 minutes longer, stirring intermittently so that it continues to soften and break.
- When ready to serve, return the pot to the heat and whisk in 2 more cups of the broth and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Serve in bowls with the pulled chicken. Garnish with cilantro, sliced green onion, fish sauce, chile oil and the crispy shallots and garlic if desired.
To make the Crispy Shallots and Garlic:
Add enough oil to barely come up the sides of an 8-inch fry pan and heat over medium heat. Add half the garlic and fry, stirring frequently until golden, about 1 minute, lowering the heat as necessary to keep the garlic from burning. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and set aside on paper towels to drain. Season with salt and repeat with the remaining garlic.
Add half the shallots to the hot oil and fry, stirring frequently, until golden, about 1 minute. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and set aside on paper towels to drain. Season with salt and repeat with the remaining shallots
Fried Tofu with Korean Red Chili Sauce
CHINESE SHRIMP DUMPLINGS OR HAR GOW
Moros y Christianos
Korean-style Pork Wraps With Chili Sauce
Green Onion Pancakes with Sesame Ginger Dipping Sauce
Potsticker Dumplings With Spicy Dipping Sauce
Bruschetta with Mozzarella, Tomatoes and Olives
Cuban-Style Roast Pork