- 1 small jicama, peeled and julienned (about 2 cups)
- 1 chayote, peeled, seeded, and julienned (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced orange bell pepper
- 2 thinly sliced jalapeños, with seeds
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, homemade, or store-bought
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (see note)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a medium bowl, combine the jicama, chayote, red onion, bell pepper, jalapeños, mayonnaise, buttermilk, lime juice, Dijon mustard, salt, sugar, and cayenne. Mix well and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary just before serving.
Note: If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make your own by adding 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar to 1 cup whole milk. Stir to blend and set aside until thickened and creamy, usually about 5 minutes; then use as needed.
Grilled Fish Sandwich with Roasted Corn Aioli
Jalapeno Grilled Quail With Texas Red Grape Grapefruit Jelly Glaze
Kicked-Up Grilled Ham and Cheese with a Warm Roasted Tomato Salad
Strawberry Gin Smash
Grilled Peach and Quinoa Salad
Grilled Mixed Vegetables
Grilled Almond-Butter Sandwiches with Bananas and Semisweet Chocolate
Grilled Cheese "Sandwitch''
Grilled Fontina, Salami And Roasted Pepper Sandwiches