- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce, or your favorite
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds okra, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (about 4 cups)
- Creamy Buttermilk Dip
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 360°F. (See Note below.)
- In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, egg, and hot sauce to combine. In a second bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, cayenne, granulated garlic, the 1 tablespoon salt, and the black pepper.
- Working in batches, dredge the okra first in the buttermilk mixture, allowing any excess to drip off, then in the flour mixture. Shake to remove any extra breading. Repeat until all of the okra is breaded.
- Fry the okra, in batches, in the hot oil, turning it as necessary, until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer the fried okra to paper towels to drain, and season lightly with salt. Repeat with the remaining okra.
- Serve the okra hot, with the Creamy Buttermilk Dip on the side for dipping.
- Note: If you don’t own a deep-fryer, fill a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or a deep iron skillet halfway with vegetable oil (so it is 2 to 4 inches deep). Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 360 degrees F. Make sure to keep the temperature of the oil as close to 360°F as possible.
Creamy Buttermilk Dip
Beer Battered Fried Okra Stuffed With Crabmeat And A Spicy Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Frisee and Arugula Salad with Pan Fried Oysters and Creamy Fennel Dressing
Fried Chicken and Buttermilk Waffles with Black Pepper Maple Syrup and Vanilla Butter
Boudin Balls with Creole Mustard Dipping Sauce
Grilled Sausages with Homemade Mustard
Emeril Lagasse's Spinach, Cherry, And Goat Cheese Salad With Warm Bacon Dressing
Eggplant Parmesan Napoleon With Spicy Tomato Sauce