- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 slices bacon or pancetta
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, split in half and rinsed well under running water, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 to 2 Parmesan cheese rinds, about 5 by 2 inches each
- 2 carrots, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup Great Northern beans, soaked overnight, (or one 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 medium zucchini, cubed (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 medium new potatoes, scrubbed and cubed (6 ounces or 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper)or to taste)
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add bacon and fry until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the leek and onion and saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add chicken stock, 4 cups water, tomatoes, cheese rinds, carrots, celery, beans, basil, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add zucchini, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Return to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, or until beans and potatoes are tender.
- Add spinach and cook for 15 minutes. Remove cheese rinds with a slotted spoon and discard. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary; serve hot.
- Cook's Notes: - If your soup gets too thick before serving, you may need to add a bit more water or chicken stock. - For a heartier Minestrone, try adding 1 cup cubed French or Italian bread or 1 1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni to soup just before serving.
Edamame With Sesame Oil And Sea Salt
Oven-baked Chicken Fingers With Healthy Ranch Dipping Sauce
Healthy Ranch Dipping Sauce
Spanish Mackerel With A Spinach And Chickpea Salad And Tomato Vinaigrette
Spinach And Chickpea Salad And Tomato Vinaigrette
Salmon With Quinoa Mix, Sautéed Kale And Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
Hot And Hearty Minestrone
Grilled Sardines, Portuguese-style
Quinoa Mix With Sauteed Kale