- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving
- Grated Paremsan, for serving
- Extra virgin olive oil, for serving
- Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add the crushed tomatoes and stir to blend. Rinse the tomato cans with the water and add. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes to and hour.
- Remove from the heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with Parsely, parmesan, and drizzle of olive oil, if desired.