For the Eggplant
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/3-inch slices
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Basic Marinara Sauce, recipe follows
- Chiffonade of fresh basil, for garnishing
- Parmesan cheese for garnishing
- Place the eggplant slices on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes. Blot eggplant dry with clean paper towels.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil. When hot, add the eggplant slices, in batches if necessary, and cook until lightly golden, about 5 minutes per side, adding a bit of additional olive oil for the second side. Top each slice of eggplant with a small slice of mozzarella and continue cooking until cheese starts to melt. Transfer browned eggplant slices to a large baking sheet and repeat until all of the eggplant slices are cooked. Hold in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- To serve family style, ladle basic marinara sauce on the bottom of a platter. Transfer warm eggplant-mozzarella slices to platter on top of marinara sauce, garnish with the basil chiffonade and Parmesan cheese.
- Source: The Emeril Lagasse Show: Episode 3 - Italian Chowdown
- Dish Type: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian
- Occasion: Any
Grilled Sardines With Fresh Herb Sauce
Sausage Pizza With Caramelized Onions And Peppers
Basic Marinara Sauce
Venetian Spritz With Prosecco, Aperol And Blood Orange Juice
Robiola Ravioli With Duck Ragu
Fish Tacos With Chipotle Crema And Roasted Tomato Salsa
Sammy And Emeril’s Favorite Paella
Vegetable Pot Pie