For the Eggplant
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/3-inch slices
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Basic Marinara Sauce, recipe follows 
- Chiffonade of fresh basil, for garnishing
- Parmesan cheese for garnishing
- Place the eggplant slices on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes. Blot eggplant dry with clean paper towels.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil. When hot, add the eggplant slices, in batches if necessary, and cook until lightly golden, about 5 minutes per side, adding a bit of additional olive oil for the second side. Top each slice of eggplant with a small slice of mozzarella and continue cooking until cheese starts to melt. Transfer browned eggplant slices to a large baking sheet and repeat until all of the eggplant slices are cooked. Hold in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- To serve family style, ladle basic marinara sauce on the bottom of a platter. Transfer warm eggplant-mozzarella slices to platter on top of marinara sauce, garnish with the basil chiffonade and Parmesan cheese.
- Source: The Emeril Lagasse Show: Episode 3 - Italian Chowdown 
- Dish Type: Entree 
- Cuisine: Italian 
- Occasion: Any