- 7 ounces medium rice stick noodles
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon tamarind concentrate, optional
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 12 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup diced firm tofu
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchstick-sized strips
- 1/2 cup matchstick-sized red bell pepper strips
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup diagonally sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons or more to taste fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Sriracha (Thai hot sauce), for serving
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Place noodles in a large bowl and cover with the boiling water. Allow noodles to soak for 5 minutes, drain, and rinse with cold, running water for 30 seconds. Drain well and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, vinegar, sugar, coconut milk, tamarind and red pepper flakes, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
Heat the sesame and peanut oils in a wok or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Just before the oil is smoking, add the shrimp and cook until pink, stirring constantly. Add the tofu, mushrooms, bean sprouts, carrots, red bell pepper, garlic, and reserved noodles, and cook until heated through, about 4 minutes.
Pour the sauce mixture into the wok and toss until combined. Cook until the mixture is steaming and most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the peanuts and green onions and cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
Remove the wok from the heat and season with the lime juice and cilantro. Serve hot with Sriracha, if desired.
Indian-Inspired Shrimp with Coconut, Chiles, and Tomatoes
Emeril's Shrimp and Pasta with Garlic, Lemon, Crushed Red Pepper, and Green Onions
Spicy Shrimp And Andouille Over Charleston-style Grits
Shrimp And Grits
Emeril's Fall River Chow Mein
Mustard Cream Spaetzle Topped Ham Steak
Soft Shell Crabs With Almonds And Brown Butter
Soft-Shell Crabs with Spring Vegetables
Stir-fried Vegetables With Salmon