- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Italian Essence or other dry Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 9 ounces fresh cheese-filled or 7 ounces dried cheese-filled tortellini
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Salt, to taste if necessary
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large saucepan over high heat. Add the olive oil and, when hot, add the onion, celery, and carrots. Saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, Italian Essence, and crushed red pepper and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and cook for 5 minutes if using fresh; 15 minutes if using dried. The pasta should be al dente (see sidebar below).
- Stir in the parsley, taste, and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Remove from heat and ladle into soup bowls.
- Garnish each bowl with one tablespoon of the cheese. Serve immediately.