- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 slices bacon or pancetta
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, split in half and rinsed very well under running water, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup dried Great Northern beans, picked over and soaked overnight or 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Parmesan cheese rind, about 5 x 2 inches
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/4 cups cubed zucchini
- 2 medium new potatoes, scrubbed and cubed (about 6 ounces or 1 1/4 cups cubed)
- 1 teaspoon Baby Bam
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves, washed, dried, and coarsely chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and fry until soft, using a fork or tongs to turn, about 2 minutes.
- Add the leek and onion, and saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, water, tomatoes, carrots, celery, soaked beans, cheese rind, basil, and crushed red pepper. (If you are using canned beans, add them in step 5 along with the spinach.) Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, potatoes, Baby Bam, and salt. Return to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. If your soup gets too thick before serving, you may need to add a bit more water or chicken broth.
- Add the spinach (and canned beans, if using) and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cheese rind with a slotted spoon, and serve.
Hot And Hearty Minestrone
Doubly Delicious Hot Chocolate With Real Whipped Cream
Tortellini In Brodo
Feel Good Chicken And Rice Soup
Crunchy Corn Chip Pie
Sugar And Spice Acorn Squash
Chicken Parmesan Emeril Style
My First Watermelon Granita
Fill-'er-up Focaccia With Roasted Veggies
Emeril's Con Queso