- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/4 pounds zucchini, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 cup packed watercress leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- Watercress sprigs, tough stems removed, garnish
- Chopped chives, garnish
- Cheddar-Pecan Crackers, accompaniment
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 15 seconds. Add the zucchini, salt, and pepper, and cook until tender. Add the stock and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Add the watercress and let wilt, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the thyme sprig.
- With a hand-held immersion blender or in batches in a food processor, puree the soup. Return to the heat and stir in the cream. Heat gently and cook for 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, keeping in mind, that salt is less evident in cold foods.
- Let cool and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 to 6 hours.
- Transfer to a large thermos. To serve, pour into double-handled cream soup bowls or decorative cups. Swirl creme fraiche into each serving and garnish with watercress sprigs and chives. Serve with cheese crackers.
Cold Pasta Salad With Smoked Salmon, Cucumbers And Salmon Roe
Cold Zucchini And Fresh Basil Soup
Cold Puree Of White Bean Soup With A Crispy Pancetta And Creole Tomato Relish
Cold Cucumber Soup With Louisiana Oysters On The Half Shell And Osteria Caviar
Cold Asparagus Soup With Quail Eggs And Caviar
Cold Shrimp Bisque With A Smoked Shrimp Relish
Cold Avocado Soup
Watercress And Shoots Salad With Toasted Flax Seeds, Fresh Berries, Oka Cheese Croutons And Flax Seed Oil Vinaigrette
Potato And Watercress Soup With Crisp Potato Pancakes And Smoked Salmon
Watercress, Endive And Strawberry Salad With Gravlax And A Blood Orange Vinaigrette