- 2 pounds asparagus
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup minced yellow onions
- 1 cup minced leeks (white parts only)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1/2 cup sour cream or crËme fraÓche
- 2 ounces sevruga caviar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- Trim the tough woody ends from the asparagus and discard. Cut the asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
- Bring 2 quarts water and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, leeks, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and the white pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the leeks are wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, then the flour, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir to cook the flour, without browning, about 2 minutes. Add the asparagus and the reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, until the asparagus is very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor or blender. Strain the soup through a wire sieve into a large bowl. Discard the solids. Whisk in the cream. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 and up to 8 hours.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each serving with a heaping tablespoon of crabmeat, a dollop of sour cream, a small spoonful of caviar, if using, and a sprinkling of chives.
Crabmeat Salad With Asparagus And Zucchini Blossoms
Cold Cucumber Soup With Smoked Salmon
Asparagus Soup With Red Pepper Sauce And Lump Crabmeat
Fresh Asparagus Salad With Lump Crabmeat
Crabmeat And Hearts Of Palm Strudels With Corn Remoulade
Cold Asparagus Soup With Quail Eggs And Caviar
Lump Crabmeat Ravioli With Red Pepper Cream Sauce And Asparagus
Caramelized Onion And Parmesan Cheese Soup With Parmesan Cheese Toasts
Chilled Roasted Beef And Fennel Soup With Apple-mint Crema And Toasted Pistachios
Potato Soup With Salt Cod Fritters