- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 5 cups hulled and halved fresh strawberries (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- To make the simple syrup, combine the sugar and water in a heavy, medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Transfer to a container to cool completely in the refrigerator, about 2 hours.
- Puree half of the strawberries, simple syrup, and lemon juice in a food processor on high speed. (Alternately, use a blender, or place the ingredients in a large bowl and puree with a hand-held immersion blender.) Place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl. Slowly pour the puree through the strainer, pressing down on the solids with the back of a soup spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the seeds and pulp remaining in the strainer. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients.
- According to the manufacturer’s instructions, process the puree in an ice cream machine. (This will take 20 to 25 minutes.) Transfer to a plastic container and freeze until firm.