- 21 tablespoons liquid Zatarainís Concentrated Crab & Shrimp Boil
- 4 medium-size yellow onions, quartered
- 3 heads garlic, halved
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes
- 2 artichokes, trimmed
- 1 pound andouille or other smoked sausage, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 4 ears fresh sweet corn, husked, cleaned, and cut into thirds
- 4 quarts steamer clams, scrubbed
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 loaf crusty French bread
Fill a 4-gallon stockpot fitted with a strainer insert two-thirds full with water. Add the crab boil, onions, and garlic. Season the water with the salt and black pepper. Add the artichokes and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 to 12 minutes. Add the sausage, and cook, covered, until the potatoes are almost fork-tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add the corn and the clams, cover, and cook until the shells pop open, about 5 to 7 minutes. Discard any clams that do not open.
Remove the strainer insert from the pot and drain the boil. Serve the clam boil on paper bags or newspapers or a large platter. Pass the melted butter and bread.