- Two 8-ounce jars roasted red bell peppers
- One 12-ounce jar cherry peppers
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- Three 15-ounce cans kidney beans, drained
Strain the roasted peppers and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the liquid. Strain the cherry peppers and discard all but 1/4 cup of the liquid. Place both the roasted peppers and cherry peppers, along with their reserved liquid, in a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
Heat the vegetable oil in an 8-quart heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the roux has reached a dark chocolate-brown color and smells nutty, about 10 minutes.
Immediately add the onions, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add the beef, chili powder, onion powder, paprika, coriander, cumin, garlic powder and salt and cook, stirring, until the beef is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add the pureéd peppers, chicken broth, and beans and stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the flavors come together and the chili has thickened, 30 to 40 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.