- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 to 3 fresh red chiles, such as cayenne, Thai, or red jalapeño, stemmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pimentón (hot smoked Spanish paprika)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons Portuguese or Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned (about 2 cups)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 yellow onion, julienned (about 1 cup)
- Freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked chorizo sausage (or other spicy sausage, such as linguiça or spicy Italian), cut into 6-inch lengths and halved lengthwise (8 pieces)
- Four 6-inch loaves Portuguese stick bread, or four 6-inch sections French bread, split and lightly toasted
Combine the lemon juice, chile pepper(s), garlic, paprika, pimentón, salt, and 1/4 cup of the cilantro leaves in a blender, and puree. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the 1/3 cup olive oil to form an emulsion, and continue to blend for 1 minute, until the mixture is uniform. Transfer to a small serving bowl and stir in the remaining 1/4 cup cilantro. Set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 12-inch sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, onion, a few generous pinches of salt, and a pinch of black pepper, and cook until the vegetables are lightly browned and soft, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside on a large plate.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the sauté pan. Add the sausage, in batches if necessary, and cook until browned and blistered, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to the plate with the peppers and onion.
Arrange the toasted bread on a clean work surface. Place 2 sausage pieces on each bottom half of the bread. Drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the sauce. Divide the pepper-and-onion mixture among the 4 sandwiches, and drizzle a bit more of the sauce on top. Gently press the top halves of the bread over the filling, and serve immediately.
Arugula With Cilantro Oil, Peppered Goat Cheese, And Roasted Walnuts
Kicked-Up Grilled Ham and Cheese with a Warm Roasted Tomato Salad
Grilled Almond-Butter Sandwiches with Bananas and Semisweet Chocolate
Wild Mushroom Smothered Steaks
Columbia Street Grinder
Warm Greens With Emeril's Herb Vinaigrette
Portuguese Chorizo Clam Stew With Garlic Aioli
Portuguese Piri Piri Beef On A Stick With Cilantro Potato Salad
Kale And Chorizo Soup