- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 to 3 fresh red chiles, such as cayenne, Thai, or red jalapeño, stemmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pimentón (hot smoked Spanish paprika)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons Portuguese or Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned (about 2 cups)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 yellow onion, julienned (about 1 cup)
- Freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked chorizo sausage (or other spicy sausage, such as linguiça or spicy Italian), cut into 6-inch lengths and halved lengthwise (8 pieces)
- Four 6-inch loaves Portuguese stick bread, or four 6-inch sections French bread, split and lightly toasted
- Combine the lemon juice, chile pepper(s), garlic, paprika, pimentón, salt, and 1/4 cup of the cilantro leaves in a blender, and puree. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the 1/3 cup olive oil to form an emulsion, and continue to blend for 1 minute, until the mixture is uniform. Transfer to a small serving bowl and stir in the remaining 1/4 cup cilantro. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 12-inch sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, onion, a few generous pinches of salt, and a pinch of black pepper, and cook until the vegetables are lightly browned and soft, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside on a large plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the sauté pan. Add the sausage, in batches if necessary, and cook until browned and blistered, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to the plate with the peppers and onion.
- Arrange the toasted bread on a clean work surface. Place 2 sausage pieces on each bottom half of the bread. Drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the sauce. Divide the pepper-and-onion mixture among the 4 sandwiches, and drizzle a bit more of the sauce on top. Gently press the top halves of the bread over the filling, and serve immediately.
Arugula With Cilantro Oil, Peppered Goat Cheese, And Roasted Walnuts
Sauteed Escolar With Curry Oil And Apple Mint Couscous
Chorizo Crusted Scallops With Cilantro Guacamole And Tortilla Strips
Tequila Marinated Shrimp Pizza With Chorizo, Onions, Bell Peppers, And Cilantro Pesto
Fried Oyster Po'boy With Jalapeño Mayonnaise And Avocado
Kicked-Up Grilled Ham and Cheese with a Warm Roasted Tomato Salad
BLT with Fried Green Tomatoes and Shrimp Rémoulade
Chicken And Biscuits With Redeye Gravy
Roast Beef Sandwich with French Onion Dip and Crispy Shallots
Banana Cream Pie With Caramel Drizzles And Chocolate Sauce