- 3 dried ancho chilies, or other large mild chiles
- 1 dried guajillo chile, or other large mild chile
- 6 dried chiles de arbol, or other small hot chiles
- 2 dried chipotle chiles, or other small smoky chiles
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pound queso fresca, grated
- 1/4 pound cotija cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound queso quesadilla or other good melting cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 pound fresh chorizo or other hot sausage, casing removed, browned
- One 4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained, or 1 small fresh poblano chile, diced
- Fifteen 6-inch corn tortillas
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Add dried chiles to a pot of boiling water. Cover, remove from heat, and set aside for 30 minutes. Remove chiles from water, drain, and remove and discard stems. Add chiles to a blender with oil and salt, and blend on high for 2 minutes. Set a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and strain the chile oil; using a rubber spatula, press chiles to extract as much flavor as possible into the oil. Using a rubber spatula or a spoon, scrape fine bits adhering to the outside bottom of the strainer into the oil. Discard any skin and seeds remaining in strainer.
In another bowl, combine queso fresca, cotija, and half the queso quesadilla. Stir in onion, browned sausage, and the green chiles.
Working a few at a time, soften corn tortillas by dipping them in chile oil and then warming briefly in a small nonstick skillet. (This will allow them to be rolled without breaking.) Fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup cheese mixture and roll each filled tortilla into a tight cylinder. Place closely together in a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish, seam side down. Repeat until all of the filling and tortillas are used and pan is filled. Top enchiladas with remaining queso quesadilla and drizzle with a bit of remaining chile oil. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, about 12 minutes.
Emeril's Quick And Perfect Guacamole And Homemade Tortilla Chips
Sopapillas With Lime-honey Drizzle
Spicy Sirloin Steak Fajitas
Chicken Pockets Stuffed With Goat Cheese, Chorizo, And Pine Nuts On A Bed Of Southern Style Black Eye Peas
Charlotte And Wendell's Margaritas
Say Cheese Enchiladas
Emeril's Perfect Mexican Salsa And Homemade Tortilla Chips
Chicken And Green Chile Tamales With Roasted Tomato Salsa
Layered Chicken Enchiladas