- 1 pound carrots, ends trimmed off, peeled
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus V teaspoon if needed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or mint leaves, or a combination
- Holding a carrot over a medium bowl, create rib- bons by running a vegetable peeler along the length. You will have wider ribbons if you keep the carrot steady and peel two opposing sides until you are left with a core. (Discard the cores or save them in your freezer for stock, chop them and add them to a soup, or add them to your compost pile.)
- Fill a medium bowl with ice and cold water, and set it aside.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil, add the carrot ribbons, and cook for 10 seconds. Drain, and immediately plunge the carrots into the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Once they are com- pletely cooled, remove the carrot ribbons from the ice bath, lay them on a kitchen towel, and gently roll them up in the towel so that they are thoroughly dried.
Make the vinaigrette:Combine the canola oil, cumin seeds, ginger, and garlic in a small sauté pan, set it over low heat, and heat until the garlic sizzles, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat. Transfer the mixture to a mortar, and grind it with a pestle. Transfer this mixture to a small bowl, and add the shallot, lemon zest, lemon juice, and honey. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking to combine. Add the 1/4 teaspoon salt and the crushed red pepper. Stir in the parsley.
- Combine the carrot ribbons with the vinaigrette, and set the salad aside to marinate for at least 10 minutes before serving. Taste, and season with the remaining V teaspoon salt if desired.
Peach Freezer Jam
Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp
Emeril Lagasse's Spinach, Cherry, And Goat Cheese Salad With Warm Bacon Dressing
Corn, Tomato And Lobster Salad
Lemon-scented Blueberry Pancakes
Curry-scented Roasted Cauliflower
Cheesy Creole Tomato Pie
Cantaloupe And Pancetta Cream Sauce For Pasta
Eggplant Parmesan Napoleon With Spicy Tomato Sauce