For the Dough
- 1 cup warm (100-110 degrees F) water
- 1 (1/4-oz) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- 3 cups bleached all-purpose flour, plus more as necessary for kneading
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cornmeal or coarse-ground semolina flour, for dusting pizza peel or pizza pan, optional
For the Toppings
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 pound cooked crumbled Italian sausage
- 1 cup caramelized onions
- 1 cup roasted red peppers
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Basil leaves, for garnish
To make the dough:
- In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast and sugar and stir to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until all the flour is incorporated but the dough is still slightly sticky. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes. Oil a large mixing bowl with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until nearly doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- When the dough has risen, punch down and roll out as desired. Sprinkle the pizza peel or pizza pan with cornmeal to help release the pizza, if desired.
To make the pizza:Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On the rolled-out dough, first spread the marinara sauce, taking care to go over the edges of the dough. Next, distribute the sausage, onions and peppers evenly all over the marinara. Sprinkle with cheese and place into the oven for 14 to 18 minutes, or until the edges are crispy and the cheese is bubbly.
- Sprinkle with basil leaves and serve immediately.
- Source: The Emeril Lagasse Show: Episode 9 - Guy's Night Out
- Dish Type: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian
- Cooking Method: Baking
- Occasion: Any
Big And Crispy Onion Rings
Emeril's Balsamic Marinated Ribeyes With Balsamic Barbecue Sauce
Burgers With Bacon And Cheese
Vegetable Pot Pie
Roasted Red Pepper Mac And Cheese
Fish Tacos With Chipotle Crema And Roasted Tomato Salsa
Sammy And Emeril’s Favorite Paella
Grilled Sardines With Fresh Herb Sauce