- 6 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), trimmed of any excess skin or fat
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence or Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, tied in a bundle, or 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Steamed white rice, for serving
- Season the chicken all over with the Essence and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Place the 1/2 cup flour in a small bowl, and quickly dredge both sides of each thigh in the flour, shaking to remove any excess. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a 10-to 12-inch flameproof casserole or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter, and when it has melted, place the chicken, skin side down, in the pan. Brown for 2 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the pan, and when it has melted, add the onions, garlic, thyme bundle or rosemary sprigs, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper. Cook, stirring as needed, until the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the 1 tablespoon flour over the onions and cook for 2 minutes longer. Then whisk in the chicken stock and increase the heat to high. Return the chicken, skin side down, to the pan, and bring the stock to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan with a heavy, tight-fitting lid, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, stir the bottom of the pan to prevent scorching, and turn the chicken skin side up. Cover the pan, and simmer for 20 minutes longer.
- Stir the bottom of the pan a final time, re-cover, and simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and discard the herb bundle or rosemary sprigs. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Add the parsley to the sauce, stir to combine, and then spoon the sauce over the chicken. Serve with steamed white rice.
- Yields 4-6 servings