- 6 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), trimmed of any excess skin or fat
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence or Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, tied in a bundle, or 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Steamed white rice, for serving
Season the chicken all over with the Essence and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Place the 1/2 cup flour in a small bowl, and quickly dredge both sides of each thigh in the flour, shaking to remove any excess. Set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a 10-to 12-inch flameproof casserole or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter, and when it has melted, place the chicken, skin side down, in the pan. Brown for 2 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the pan, and when it has melted, add the onions, garlic, thyme bundle or rosemary sprigs, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper. Cook, stirring as needed, until the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the 1 tablespoon flour over the onions and cook for 2 minutes longer. Then whisk in the chicken stock and increase the heat to high. Return the chicken, skin side down, to the pan, and bring the stock to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan with a heavy, tight-fitting lid, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Uncover the pan, stir the bottom of the pan to prevent scorching, and turn the chicken skin side up. Cover the pan, and simmer for 20 minutes longer.
Stir the bottom of the pan a final time, re-cover, and simmer for 20 more minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and discard the herb bundle or rosemary sprigs. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Add the parsley to the sauce, stir to combine, and then spoon the sauce over the chicken. Serve with steamed white rice.
Yields 4-6 servings
Tagine Of Chicken With Preserved Lemons And Cerignola Olives
Chicken Pot Pie With A Biscuit Top
Cajun Shrimp Stew
New England-style Fish And Shellfish Chowder
Udon Noodle Stir-fry With Vegetables
Sam's Beef Stew
Emeril's Chuck Wagon Chili For The Slow Cooker
Southern-Style Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken And Black Beans With Chorizo
Emeril's Oven Roasted Chicken Wings