- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- White pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mixed fresh herbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick and roasted
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Mornay Sauce: Melt butter in a small heavy saucepan. Stir in the flour, increase the heat to medium-high and cook for 2 minutes, being careful not to let it brown. Whisk in the milk and heavy cream and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a gentle boil. Cook until the floury taste is gone and sauce is smooth and thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the Gruyere and stir until melted. Season with salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. Remove from heat.
In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, chopped herbs, Parmesan, and olive oil.
Season shrimp with Essence. Layer shrimp and eggplant in a gratin dish. Cover with Mornay sauce. Top with bread crumb mixture. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.