- 3 cups roughly chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped celery
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups salt
- 1/4 cup cayenne pepper
- 6 lemons, quartered
- 4 pounds Colossal shrimp (10 shrimp per pound), peeled
- Classic New Orleans Remoulade Sauce
- Spicy Cocktail Sauce
- Louis Sauce
- Set a 12-quart stockpot with 2-gallons of water over a high heat and bring to a boil. Add the first 8 ingredients to the pot. Squeeze the lemon quarters into the pot, placing the lemon rinds and pulp in the mixture as well. Once the water boils, cook for 15 to 20 minutes. While the mixture is boiling, use kitchen shears to cut the backs of the shrimp and remove the vein, if desired.
- Add the cleaned shrimp to the boil and cook for 3 minutes, stirring once or twice. Turn off the fire and let the shrimp sit in the hot boil for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the boil, draining well, and spread them evenly on a baking sheet. Place the shrimp in the refrigerator until well chilled. Serve with Classic New Orleans Remoulade, Sauce Spicy Cocktail Sauce, or Louis Sauce.