- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pimientos (one 4 ounce jar, drained)
- 2 teaspoons grated yellow onion (with juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Pinch cayenne
- 4 individual sandwich-sized baguettes, or 4 (6-inch) lengths of French bread, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced smoked ham, such as Black Forest
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion
Combine the cheese, mayonnaise, pimento, grated onion, black pepper, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl and stir until combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Spread the cheese mixture on the cut sides of both the top and bottom bread halves of each sandwich. Divide the ham and onions evenly between the 4 sandwiches, sandwiching between cheese-slathered bread.
Preheat a griddle or grill pan over medium heat and lightly butter the top and bottom of the sandwiches.
Place the sandwiches on the griddle (in batches if necessary) and apply weight from the top using a skillet or other heavy object such as a sandwich press. Cook until the sandwiches are crispy and golden on the bottom and cheese inside is beginning to melt. Turn the sandwich over and cook until the second side is golden and crisp and the inside is warm and gooey. Serve hot.
Kicked-Up Grilled Ham and Cheese with a Warm Roasted Tomato Salad
Country Ham and Apple Slaw Sandwich with Baby Swiss and Bourbon Mustard
Seared Ham Steaks With A Root Beer Glaze
Beef Tenderloin Sandwiches with Horseradish Spread
Grilled Almond-Butter Sandwiches with Bananas and Semisweet Chocolate
Piquillo Cheese Spread
Home-Ground Burgers with Bacon, Cheese, and Fresh Thyme
Canape Of Maytag Blue Cheese And Roasted Walnuts With A Caramelized Onion And Apple Relish
Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich
Chorizo and Sauteed Pepper Sandwich with Lemony Olive Oil-Cilantro Drizzle