- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, cut crosswise into 1-inch slices
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, cut crosswise into 1-inch slices
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup vodka
- Two 14.5-ounce cans crushed or diced tomatoes with their juice
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Crusty bread, for serving
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over high heat. Add the sausages and cook, stirring, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onions, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are just soft, about 4 minutes. Add the basil and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the vodka and tomatoes, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes. Add the Essence and heavy cream, stir to mix, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
To cook the pasta, combine 4 quarts water, the olive oil, and the remaining teaspoon salt in a large pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, add the pasta, and cook until al dente, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain well. Combine half of the ricotta cheese and half of the Parmigiano-Reggiano with the remaining 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Add the pasta and toss to coat evenly. Add the sausage mixture and mix well. Add the remaining ricotta cheese and the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano and mix well.
Transfer the mixture to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Bake until bubbly and golden, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven. Serve warm with crusty bread.
Very Veggie Lasagna
Baked Ziti With Italian Sausage And Fennel
Andouille And Chicken Jambalaya
Emeril's Seafood Paella
Barbecued Pulled Pork Sandwiches With Homemade Bbq Sauce, Cole Slaw And Fried Pickles
Emerilized (from Scratch) Green Bean Casserole
Chocolate And Chestnut Semifreddo
Super Stuffed Shells
Rosemary And Garlic Roast Leg Of Lamb