- 1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups grated zucchini or yellow squash
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat the oven to 350Âº F.
- Grease a 6 by 9-inch loaf pan with the butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until yellow and frothy.
- Add the vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and sugar and whisk to combine.
- Add the zucchini and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and baking powder into a medium bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and, using a rubber spatula, mix just until blended, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the nuts, if desired.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake until risen and golden brown, about 1 1/2 hours. A toothpick inserted into the middle should come out clean.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the loaf pan from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn the bread out onto a wire rack, setting it right side up, to cool completely before cutting.
- NOTE: The bread may also be baked in two small loaf pans. Decrease the cooking time to about 1 hour.