- 1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach, washed and stems removed, or 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Baby Bam
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Monterey Jack or pecorino Romano cheese
- Tortilla chips or other chips of choice, for dipping
- If using fresh spinach, bring a large saucepan filled 2/3 full with water to a rolling boil.
- Add the spinach and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or just until spinach wilts and water returns to a boil. Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove from the heat and strain the spinach in a colander set in the sink. Rinse under cold running water until cool.
- If using frozen spinach, skip steps 1 and 2. Let the spinach thaw and drain in a colander set in the sink.
- Using your hands, squeeze the spinach to remove as much liquid as possible. You should have about 1 1/2 cups of spinach.
- Place spinach on a cutting board and chop finely. Set aside.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Do not allow garlic to brown.
- Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is a light-blond color, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the heavy cream and milk, little by little, until the mixture is smooth. Continue to cook until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, Baby Bam, and salt, and stir to combine well.
- Remove from the heat. Add the sour cream, chopped spinach, and Monterey Jack or pecorino Romano cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately, with tortilla chips, Blow-You-Away Bagel Chips, or other dipping chips of choice.