- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound sweet or mild Italian sausage, removed from the casings and coarsely crumbled or chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and 1 tablespoon of the salt and return to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 15 minutes.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the pot of pasta from the heat and drain the pasta away from you into a colander set in the sink. Return pasta to the pot but keep off the heat.
- While the pasta is cooking, cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until evenly browned and cooked through, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, until golden brown around the edges, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, the remaining teaspoon of salt, and the pepper and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the sausage mixture to the pasta. Add the olive oil and the basil, and toss to coat evenly.
- To serve, divide equal portions of the pasta mixture among plates or soup bowls. Garnish each serving with equal portions of the Parmesan cheese.