- 1 cup flour, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar, plus 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 1/4 cups pecan pieces
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons cane syrup (or molasses)
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons (or more) Bourbon whiskey
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Combine 1 cup of the flour, salt and 3/4 teaspoon of the sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the shortening and work it in your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water, a little at a time, and work it in with your hands. Add only as much as you need for a smooth ball of dough. Wrap the dough and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it on a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough on the floured surface into a circle about 12 inches in diameter and 1/8-inch thick. Gently fold the circle of dough in half and then in half again so that you can lift it without tearing it, and unfold into a 9-inch pie pan. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until ready to fill.
- In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream until scalded, and pour over the chocolate chips that are in a small, heat-proof mixing bowl. Stir until the chocolate has melted and a smooth sauce has formed. Set aside and reserve for the pie.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the pie shell from the refrigerator, and spread the pecan pieces evenly on the bottom. Combine the eggs, the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, brown sugar, cane syrup, corn syrup, vanilla, salt, butter, and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons flour in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Pour the mixture over the pecans.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until the filling sets and the pastry is nicely browned. When you remove the pie from the oven, drizzle the whiskey over-top the pie. Pokes holes into the pie filling with the tip of a sharp knife so the bourbon has a route to travel.
- Cool for 10 minutes, and then pour the ganache over top the pie. Let the ganache set in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, then slice, and serve the pie with the vanilla bean ice cream. The pie may also be served warmed briefly in a microwave.
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Chocolate, Chocolate Mousse Layer Cake With Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Chocolate, Chocolate Mousse Layer Cake†with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Individual Plum Pies With Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Mascerated Strawberries Over Chocolate Shortcakes And Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
Warm Chocolate Praline Tart With Caramel, Chocolate Sauce, And Vanilla Ice Cream
Emeril's Warm Peach Pancakes With Vanilla Bean Ice Cream And A Drizzle Of Warm Caramel Sauce
Vanilla Ice Cream With Sweet Red Bean Paste
Profiteroles With Vanilla Ice Cream And Chocolate Sauce