- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fennel, bulb only
- 1 onion, cut in half and sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 10 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup pernod
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 cups Shrimp Stock
- 40 mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Heat the oil in a large nonreactive skillet over high heat. Add the fennel, onions, salt, and pepper and sautÈ for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and Pernod and stand back in case it flames.
- Stir in the tomatoes and shrimp stock and bring to a simmer. Add the mussels and green onions, cover, and steam over high heat until all of the mussel shells have opened, for about 4 minutes.
- Remove the mussels with tongs and let the broth cook for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Makes 3 cups broth.
- To serve, arrange 10 mussels in each of 4 shallow bowls, and spoon 3/4 cup of the broth over them.
Poached Oysters In Pernod Cream And Fried Spinach
Mussels With Saffron Wine Sauce
Greens And Fried Oysters With Pernod Buttermilk Dressing
Steamed Ginger Shrimp Dumplings With Stir Fried Sesame Vegetables
Escolar Stew With Saffron Broth And Wild Mushrooms
Fennel Tomato Soup
Parmesan Fennel Breadsticks
Mussels And Fennel With Saffron Cream Sauce