- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 6 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 24 cleaned, bearded, and soaked mussels
- 1 large egg
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the shallots, parsley, garlic, salt, saffron, pepper, and wine, and bring to a boil, stirring. Add the mussels, reduce the heat to low, cover, and steam until the shells are open, for about 3 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels. Strain and reserve the liquid (makes about 2/3 cup liquid). Keep the mussels covered and warm.
- Place the egg in a food processor, turn on the machine, and slowly drizzle in the 2/3 cup mussel cooking liquid. Slowly drizzle in the remaining 1/2 cup of oil. Process until the mixture has the texture of a thin mayonnaise. Makes 1 1/3 cups.
- To serve, arrange 6 mussels in each of 4 shallow soup bowls and drizzle each serving with 1/3 cup of the sauce, making sure to get some of the sauce into all of the mussel shells. Serve immediately.
Sauteed Scallops With Saffron Corn Sauce
Quail Milton with Wild Mushroom-Andouille Duxelles and Port Wine Sauce
Curry Crusted Lamb Chops With Garlic Wine Sauce And Potato Shallot Custards
Lamb Shanks Braised In Wine Sauce With Mint Orzo
Mussels And Fennel With Saffron Cream Sauce
Steamed Mussels In Fennel Pernod Broth
Saffron Corn Sauce
Crabmeat Potato Salad With Warm Saffron Dressing
Escolar Stew With Saffron Broth And Wild Mushrooms
Roasted Shrimp With Saffron Potatoes And Tomato Mirliton Relish