- 1/4 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- One 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 cup vodka (to taste) *See note below
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound fresh pasta sheets, torn into 3 x 1-inch ìrags,î or fresh fettuccine
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving
Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat just until crisp, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are deep golden, soft, and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring often, and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the vodka (to taste) and cook until the sauce is slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Stir in the cream and peas. Cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil. Cover and keep warm.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta in the boiling water until just al dente, about 4 minutes. Drain in a colander. Return to the pot.
Add the sauce to the pasta and mix well. Serve immediately in soup bowls, with the cheese passed on the side.
* Cook's Note: Vodka should be added judiciously and to taste. 1 cup may be too much for some, but just right for others, so please use with caution. Also, you may need to reduce the sauce longer than 4 minutes should you decide to add a whole cup of vodka.
Baked Ziti With Italian Sausage And Fennel
Alligator Sauce Piquante
Kicked Up Pasta Rags With Vodka Sauce
Cold Asparagus Soup With Lump Crabmeat
Portuguese-Style White Bean Soup with Chicken and Bacon
Seared Scallops On Truffle White Bean Puree With Wild Mushroom Sauce
Pasta With Vodka Sauce And Sausage
Chairman Of The Board Linguine With Clam Sauce And Viva Las Vegas Tomato Sauce
Caramelized Onion and Parmesan Cheese Soup with Parmesan Cheese Toasts
Chilled Roasted Beet And Fennel Soup With Apple-mint Crema And Toasted Pistachios