- 4 1/2 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or as needed
- 4 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large jalapeÒo, quartered through the stem
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups Rainwater Madeira
- 6 cups Veal Stock or
- canned low-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Season the meat with the Essence, salt, and pepper. Dredge it in the flour, shaking to remove any excess.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large enameled casserole or Dutch oven. In batches, brown the meat on all sides, about 10 minutes per batch, adding more oil to the pot as needed. Transfer the meat to a large platter. Discard the oil.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil to the pot and heat over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onions, and bay leaves and cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeÒo and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Add the Madeira, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Return the meat to the pot. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender, about 2 1/2 hours. (During cooking, make sure there is always at least 1 inch of liquid in the pot; add more stock or water as necessary.)
- Remove the pot from the heat. Skim any fat from the surface of the cooking liquid, and remove and discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle the ribs with the parsley and serve immediately.
Braised Short Ribs
Short Ribs Braised With Coffee And Ancho Chiles
Chef Neal's Baby Back Ribs With Orange Chipotle Glaze
Prime Rib Of Beef
Andouille Stuffed Double Cut Pork Chops With Whiskey Braised Applesauce
Whiskey Braised Applesauce
Madeira Braised Veal Cheeks With Creamy Polenta
Kicked Up Fried Calamari with Creole Olive Salad
Braised Beef Short Ribs With Red Beans And Sushi Rice
Asian Style Braised Short Ribs