- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons diced shallots
- 3 pounds mussels, cleaned
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 loaf of French bread, for serving
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a deep saute pan. Add shallots and cook until tender. Add mussels, wine, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cover and steam until mussels open, about 5 minutes. . Remove mussels to a shallow bowl with a slotted spoon. Taste the broth and add salt and pepper to taste and pour the broth over mussels. Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Serve with crusty French bread for dipping in the broth.