- 2 cups water2 teaspoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grits
- 1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Oil a large sheet pan. In a saucepan bring water and butter, seasoned with salt and pepper, to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and whisk in grits. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Pour grits onto sheet pan, spreading them evenly. Cool and cut into cakes with a 2 1/2- to 3-inch biscuit cutter.
- In a large preferably nonstick skillet, heat enough oil to coat bottom of pan over medium-high heat. Dredge both sides of cakes in flour and pan-fry about 2 minutes on each side, until golden. Drain on paper towels and keep warm before serving.