- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup canned creamed corn
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat the oven to 400ÂºF.
- Grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with the 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil and heat in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a medium bowl until frothy, about 1 minute. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and the sour cream and whisk until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the creamed corn into the egg mixture and set aside.
- Sift the dry ingredients the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt into another medium bowl.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture just until combined.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the hot skillet from the oven. Carefully pour the cornbread batter into the skillet.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, return the skillet to the oven and bake the cornbread until it is a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the skillet from the oven and let cool briefly before serving. Serve warm with butter.