- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups old-fashioned grits (not quick cooking or instant)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage, diced or sliced crosswise into half-moons
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence or other Creole Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces grated pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
Bring the milk and water to a boil over high heat in a large nonstick saucepan. Whisk in the grits, salt, and pepper and return to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and cook the grits until tender and thick, stirring frequently, about 30 minutes.
While the grits are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and saute the sausage until browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper and Essence and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer, then remove from the heat and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9- by 13-inch casserole dish.
When the grits are tender and thickened, stir in two-thirds of the grated cheddar, the grated pepper jack, heavy cream, and butter. Add the eggs and green onions, then stir in the reserved sausage-vegetable mixture. Spoon the grits into the prepared casserole dish, and top with the remaining cheddar. Bake in the center of the oven until the casserole is lightly golden on top and set, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Cafe Au Lait
Andouille Cheese Grits With Crawfish Sauce
Grillades And Stone-ground Grits
Smothered Andouille Sausage And Shrimp Over Creamy Stone Ground Grits
Sauteed Grouper With Crawfish Cream Sauce
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
Barbecued Salmon with Andouille and Potato Hash
Beignets with a Cafe Au Lait Creme Anglaise
Individual Ham and Cheese Crustless Quiche