- 1 pound dried Cannellini or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- 4 ounces sliced salt pork (rinsed well)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh chorizo sausage links
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Crusty bread for serving
- Place beans in a large saucepan with 6 cups of water; bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover, and set aside for 1 hour.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add ¼ cup olive oil. Sauté the onion until translucent. Stir in the garlic and salt pork and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beans (with soaking liquid) and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, mostly covered, 1 hour. Add the salt and chorizo, and continue to cook, covered, until beans are tender, about 30 minutes longer, adding more water as necessary to keep beans covered.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan with the paprika, stirring until fragrant. Stir the butter into the beans then slice the sausage links and return to the pot and set aside for flavors to meld.
- Adjust seasoning. Serve with crusty bread and extra virgin olive oil.