- One 6- to 8- pound bone-in pork shoulder roast, such as Boston butt or picnic, rinsed and patted dry
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons crushed dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Using a fork or the tip of a paring knife, make deep incisions all over the roast. If the roast has a thick layer of fat and skin on it, score the fat with a sharp knife in a criss-cross pattern, scoring all the way into the meat layer.
- In a mortar and pestle, combine the garlic, salt, oregano, black pepper, and half of the minced onion and pound to form a smooth paste. Using your hands, spread this mixture all over the outside of the roast on all sides. Transfer to a resealable plastic food storage bag and add the remaining onion, orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice and olive oil. Seal the bag tightly and turn the bag over several times to evenly distribute the marinade. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
- Remove the roast from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature for about 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 350°F and position a rack in the center of the oven.
- Transfer the roast to a large nonreactive Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid (or a roasting pan just large enough to hold the roast and cover with aluminum foil.) Place in the oven and bake, covered and undisturbed, for 4 hours, or until the meat is fork-tender. Remove the lid and continue cooking until the roast is golden brown on top, 30 minutes and up to 2 hours longer. The meat should pull apart easily. Discard the bone and any excess fat and pull the meat into shreds.
- Skim any excess fat from the top of the drippings in the pan, and then drizzle the meat with the remaining pan juices.
KIMCHI BRAISED PORK
Korean-style Pork Wraps With Chili Sauce
SPANISH STYLE MARINATED MUSHROOMS
Spanish-Style Deviled Eggs with Pimentόn and Manzanillo Olives
Cold Poached Salmon with Herb Mayonnaise
KOREAN RICE CAKES BRAISED IN A SPICY RED CHILI SAUCE
STEAMED BUNS WITH KIMCHI BRAISED PORK
Smoked Trout and Mushroom Spread on Crispbread