- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water, not hotter than 110 degrees F
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 recipe King Cake Icing, as follows
- Purple, Green and Gold sanding sugar
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
For the doughnuts:
- Place the yeast and the warm water in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Let stand for about 5 minutes or until the yeast begins to bubble. Add the remaining ingredients and mix on low speed for 8 minutes. Scrape the edges of the bowl every few minutes. If you do not have a standing mixer, knead the dough for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and place in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough proof at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Generously flour a cutting board or a flat surface. Roll the dough out until it is 1/2-inch thick. Cut the doughnuts using a 3-inch round cookie cutter. Cut out the center with a round 1/2-inch cutter. Transfer the doughnuts to a greased baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Let the doughnuts proof at room temperature for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat a fryer to 325°F and fry the doughnuts in batches until golden brown on each side, about 5 minutes total. Transfer the doughnuts to a paper towel lined baking sheet or a rack positioned over a baking sheet and let cool for 3 minutes.
- Working one at a time, dip one side of a warm doughnut in the King Cake Icing and then sprinkle as desired with purple, green, and gold sugar. Repeat with the remaining donuts.
For the icing:
- Whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
- Yield: 2 1/2 cups