- 2 cups unbleached bread flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat or barley flour
- 2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 cups warm water (no hotter than 110°F)
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk or soy milk
- Blue cornmeal, for dusting
- In a large bowl, combine the four flours, four types of seeds, wheat germ, salt, and yeast. Mix well. Add the water, honey, and milk, and stir thoroughly to combine. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set it aside in a warm, draft-free place for at least 18 hours and up to 24 hours—until it has nearly doubled in size and is dotted with bubbles.
- Remove the plastic wrap and dust the top of the dough with a little bread flour, evenly distributing it across the top. Using a bowl scraper, scrape the dough down along the sides of the bowl to form a ball. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set it aside in a warm, draft-free place until slightly risen, 3 to 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Place a Dutch oven on a rack in the bottom third of the oven, and preheat it for 30 minutes. Using oven mitts, remove the Dutch oven, and reduce the oven temperature to 425°F. Scatter the blue cornmeal over the bottom of the Dutch oven, and pour the dough into the pan. Cover the Dutch oven with the lid and return it to the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the lid and bake for another 20 minutes or until the bread is browned and crusty and has pulled away from the sides of the pan. Remove the Dutch oven and turn the loaf out onto a wire rack. Let it cool completely before slicing.
- The cooled bread can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored overnight at room temperature or frozen for up to 3 months.
White Sandwich Bread
Irish Soda Bread with Currants
Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
Spicy Chile-Chocolate Cake
Smoked Sausage Sandwiches with Beer-Braised Onions
Irish Soda Bread
Roast Beef Po'Boy
Chorizo and Sauteed Pepper Sandwich with Lemony Olive Oil-Cilantro Drizzle