- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (1 small pepper, small dice)
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and cut into small dice
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pound fresh jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 cup instant flour, such as Wondra Tartar or rémoulade sauce, for serving
- In a small bowl, combine the bell pepper, jalapeño, green onion, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, the Worcestershire sauce, and the hot sauce. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the all purpose flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and cayenne and mix well. Stir in the milk and eggs. Fold in the bell pepper mixture and the crabmeat. Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer to 350°F. Preheat the oven to 250°F. Position a wire rack over a paper-towel-lined baking sheet.
- Combine the instant flour and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish or baking pan.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a measuring spoon and working in batches, drop 2 rounded tablespoonfuls of the beignet batter into the instant flour and toss to coat. Gently drop the beignets into the fryer. Do not overcrowd the fryer. Cook the beignets until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain the beignets on the wire rack. Repeat with the remaining beignet batter, keeping the drained cooked beignets warm in the oven.
- Serve the beignets immediately, with tartar sauce or rémoulade sauce.
Boudin Balls with Creole Mustard Dipping Sauce
Fried Kicked-up Jalapeno Poppers
Natchitoches Meat Pies
Beer Battered Fried Okra Stuffed With Crabmeat And A Spicy Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Fried Okra With Creamy Buttermilk Dip
Gulf Fish Beignets With Tomato Corn Tartar Sauce
Fried Green Tomatoes With Lump Crabmeat And Daveís Ravigote
Kicked Up Fried Rice With Shrimp And Crabmeat