- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped parsnips
- 3 tablespoons minced celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 to 6 fresh thyme sprigs, tied together
- 2 pounds turnips, peeled and diced
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup vegetable stock or canned, low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Parsnip Chips, for garnish
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add onions, parsnips, and celery. Cook until vegetables are lightly caramelized around the edges, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add turnips, stocks, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat just to a simmer and cook until turnips are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove thyme and add heavy cream, if using.
Using an immersion blender (or in batches in a blender), puree soup until very smooth.
Rewarm if necessary, then serve in small bowls, garnished with a dollop of sour cream, a pinch of chives, and parsnip chips.
Crispy Parsnip Chips
Roasted Chicken Breasts With Roasted Acorn Squash, Braised Pears, And A Pear Cider Reduction
Roasted Acorn Squash And Braised Pears
Fresh Tuna and Butter-Lettuce Wraps with Crispy Wonton Threads, Shaved Jalapeno and Basil Oil
Roasted Garlic Soup
Hot And Hearty Minestrone
Home-ground Buffalo Burgers With Bacon, Cheese And Fresh Thyme
Quail Milton with Wild Mushroom-Andouille Duxelles and Port Wine Sauce
Okra And Shrimp Gumbo