- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup nonpareil capers, drained and rinsed
- 10 green Greek olives, pitted and sliced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence or other Creole seasoning
- 1/2 cup ouzo
- 8 ounces Greek feta, crumbled
- 1 loaf hearty sourdough bread, warmed, for serving
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Heat 1/2 cup olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When it is hot, add the garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper, capers, and olives and cook until fragrant, 30 to 45 seconds. Add the tomatoes with juices and the clam juice, and cook until sauce has thickened slightly, 4 to 6 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the tomato sauce is cooking, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan. Season the shrimp with Essence.
When oil is hot, add shrimp and cook until just barely pink on both sides, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and add ouzo. Return pan to heat and carefully shake to ignite alcohol. When flames have died down, season shrimp with salt and pepper. Do not overcook the shrimp; they should not be cooked through at this point.
Spoon tomato sauce into a large casserole or individual gratin dishes. Nestle shrimp in sauce and crumble feta evenly over top. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until shrimp are just cooked through and sauce is bubbly.
Remove from oven and serve immediately with warm, crusty bread.
Emeril's Bone-Chilling Brew
Pumpkin-shaped Cheddar Crackers
Grilled Cheese "Sandwitch''
Black Cat Cookies (Orange-Scented Sables With A Bittersweet Chocolate Ganache)
Grilled Almond-Butter Sandwiches with Bananas and Semisweet Chocolate
Emeril's Seafood Paella
Udon Noodle Stir-fry With Vegetables